Skip to main content

Local Craft Brewery 1



Image result for coulee brew porter
All right everyone, so I am going to be honest here but I have been to this brewery a couple times as it is quite literally at the end of the street from where I work. It is called Coulee Brew Company. It is this big beautiful building and inside has a really nice warm contemporary country feel to it. As soon as you walk in there is the bar counter with all of its glorious taps front and center. They have several of there own beers on tap and I have even spotted another beer from another craft brewery a time or two. The last time I was there I just went to fill a my 2 liter growler with my favorite beer Bears Hump Nut Brown Ale. Coulee Brew to my knowledge only has 6 main stay brews on tap. Coulee Brew is a really great place to socialize and have a nice relaxing beer after work with little bite to eat. Coulee Brew has a kitchen, I know right, craft beer straight from the tank along with bar food, what could be better? Oh wait nothing! Although, I have my reservations about some of their food itself, I am not writing about the food just the beer! Speaking of beer, Coulee Brew just came out with what I believe to be a seasonal beer which is called the Coal Banks Porter and I freaking love it! I think I like it better than the Nut Brown Ale but I think its a seasonal beer... so sad.

If you are ever in the Lethbridge area stop by Coulee Brew! They always have some sort of event going on an have this great patio perfect for a good time. Beer is beer! Well to some extent anyways. Sure there are some terrible beers but to me those are the mainstream brands now! I don't know about you all but I have the hardest time going from any craft beer  and switching to a Bud or Canadian! They honestly are impossible to choke down now! If they are your thing great but once you have a beer that has just come from the tanks into a can/bottle/keg into your glass that have been hand crafted and have these amazing flavors layered on top of one another you would have a difficult time going back to the mainstream beers to. Like seriously, with all the different combinations a craft brewer could come up with is ridiculous. I mean they could come up with combinations that include different fruits like apples, cherries, grapefruit, lemon, limes, and the list goes on,  and then there are flavors like coffee, caramel and even chocolate. I have even heard of brewers using spices like cinnamon, rosemary and star anise. Not only can they incorporate those things, but the malts to are used to determine the color/style of beer. Yeast, it is also a very important part of the brewing process and there are different strains of yeast even! Yes, I know right! Who could have thought a brewer has options in what yeast he/she uses. Last but not least, hops, there are hundreds of different varieties of hops that all have there own unique flavors to them and add great flavor to any beer if done properly. So with all these, lets call them tools, it is pretty amazing the different types of flavors can be made. Oh! I almost forgot! There is a new trend I have noticed lately and full heatedly stand by! Brewers are using old bourbon and whiskey barrels to age primarily their stouts and porters! And let me tell you these beers are fantastic! I would personally consider craft beer a type of art form based on what I just described above.

Yeah I know I got a little off topic, but hey whats wrong with being a little passionate right! I did though forget to mention that Coulee Brews' staff are very friendly and inviting and have a good working knowledge of their beers....well the bartender when I was there did anyways. Moreover, Coulee Brew has a pretty cool growler that comes in a one liter can! or just the two liter growler. So to sum up Coulee Brew in a nut shell, good beer (for the most part), great atmosphere, and good people I would recommend Coulee Brew to anybody coming through Lethbridge, Alberta. I would rate this brewery a solid 7/10.

If you want to know more I have attached a link to Coulee Brews website if you want to look at their selection of beers
couleebrew.co

 


Please Comment if you have any questions of concerns, I welcome feedback and positive discussion. 

Disclaimer:I would like to express that these are my personal preferences and tastes and do not reflect the overall quality of the beers and that I firmly believe everybody has their own tastes and preferences. Also, I am not a professional beer connoisseur and like I previously stated these experiences are my own. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DAMN!! So much beer this year.

DAMN!! It has been quite sometime since my last post but i have been feeling a bit of an itch to write one. So with that in mind let begin with how many breweries have erupted onto the craft beer scene here in Alberta, Canada. I mean in Calgary alone new breweries seem to be popping up every couple of months with no end in sight. I have been finding it difficult to keep up with the growth the brewery scene. Besides Calgary, province wide there has been substantial growth and it seems like every little town has one brewery or one is in the works. For those of you readers who do not live in Alberta, Canada you will not know this but there is a company who comes out with a craft beer brewery guide every quarter called the "Alberta Craft Beer Guide". I love this book because if I decide to go on a road trip I can plan accordingly and potentially stop at a brewery if I find the time.  The best thing I have come to discover is that even though there are so many differen

Summer time! Part 1

Wow what a summer it was! 2018 was a good year for craft beer in Alberta! All the specialty one off  beers that were coming out to what seemed like almost weekly were incredible. I mean i tried a triple IPA and if you have read previous posts I never drink IPAs yet alone triples. If you want to see all the beers from my summer go and request to be in my Facebook group "Craft beer 101" and you will be able to see all the beers I got the chance  to indulge in! I have posted so many beers this summer that now I have become "The beer guy" at work. I mean, I have even created a Instagram profile called Craftbeerfan101 and i post beers on their as well, not as frequent as Facebook though. But this post is going to be more about the start of my summer and some of the fun things I got to do and to get my hands on to drink. Enjoy! 2 Brewery Tastings!! Fathers Day was a good day this year! My dad brought me to two different and brand new breweries in Sylvan Lake, AB. The

Great Craft Beer and Cooking with Craft Beer!

Craft Beer Night at  SAAG Craft Beer Friday Takeover! Alright, so a really good friend/colleague invited me to a beer tasting here in town. I decided t hat since I had never been to one it would be a good to go out and try the beers they had. When I got there they had five beers to choose from (pic below). As I have stated in the past, the hoppy beers are not my favorite beers to drink and number 2 on the list, the Intergalactic Space Dragon IPA was probably the worst of the five but it was not a bad beer by any means its just that the other beers were just so much better then this beer. This beer was a hoppy beer I would be okay having a couple more of this beer. The Kolsch was nothing special but still better then the IPA. The Black Currant Kettle Sour was honestly the most surprising of the whole tasting. I had my reservations about this style of brew and I was hesitant in trying it. I am glad I did as I was thoroughly surprised with this beer as it was a super tasty fruity beer